Sunday, March 27, 2011

(BELATED POST) It's beginning to look a lot like Craftmas!

Hello all you lovely people.  Apologies for my absence these past few weeks...things have been crazy on this end trying to finish either making or buying presents for friends and family.  I do, however, hope that everyone is enjoying the holiday season, and that you are able to share it with those you love and cherish.

Now that all of the sappy sentiment is aside, we can now enter the world of crafting.  Borrowing a term from my good friend The Crafty Octopus, this year turned out to be somewhat of a Craftmas for me.

First of all,  I tried with all my might to finish the devil of a purse I have been promising my mom for almost two years now; however, I was unable to complete it.  I do have all of the pieces completed, it is just the unfamiliar task of using the triple bind off method of joining the pieces together that is preventing me from progressing any further.  However, I have plans to attend a local knitting night at my yarn shop and ask them for some assistance on the matter.  Hopefully, with some luck those nice ladies will take pity on me and help me finish the monstrosity.  *cross fingers*

Secondly, my brother asked me for a scarf for Christmas awhile back.  He loved my finished scarf, which was the first time I had ever done a cable knit; however, he wanted his to be in a darker shade of green.  I was happy to oblige since I absolutely love the pattern and it knits up rather quickly...even for a "slow" knitter like myself.  Just look at the finished result:

Photo would be here; however, I forgot to take one, and my brother has YET to send me one...turd!


Thirdly, about a week or so before Christmas, I decided that I wanted to make my brother's girlfriend a scarf of her very own.  She is obsessed with the color purple, so the color choice was obvious; however, the only problem is that the pattern I have for a cable knit scarf is for a man...meaning it is too thick and chunky for a female frame.  What was a knitter to do?  So I had to do another first...alter an existing pattern to suit my needs.  It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.  After a little trial and error I was able to come up with a pattern for a smaller version of the cable knit scarf.  That way they could have his and hers scarfs...awww, I know!  Here is her finished scarf:



And finally, I got my first taste of embroidery.  I hand stitched my name on labels for each of the scarfs...just look:



aren't they AMAZING!!  I'm quite pleased with the way things turned out the Craftmas...well, except for fact that every project was completed except for the one for my mom; however, to make up for it we got her All-Clad cookware for Christmas.  SHE WAS SUPER EXCITED!

Well, that is all I have for you...again, I hope your holidays are joyful ones filled with love and laughter! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment