Thursday, August 26, 2010

Slip Stitches: Book Review - City of Bones


City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)In addition to being an avid knitter, I'm also a ravenous reader!  Because I work for a library as a Youth Programmer, it is part of my job to stay abreast on the latest and greatest in Young Adult and Juvenile fiction.  Although it is part of my job, I love reading these books...except for the Twilight series, but I will spare you my less-than-nice thoughts on those books and move on to a series that is WORTH reading.  The Crafty Octopus is the one who recommended I read this series, and since we have similar tastes when it comes to literature, I thought I would give it a go.  And what's the worst that could happen...it be another Twilight?  The series she suggested was The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare, whose first book is The City of Bones

A brief teaser:
This work follows Clary Fray as she goes about her daily life in the hustle and bustle of New York City.  Everything is normal until Clary and her friend Simon decide to head out to the local club, Pandemonium.  She never would of expected that her life would forever change by stepping through the entrance.  That night, Clary witnessed a murder committed by three teenagers covered in intricate tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons.  Clary knows that she should alert the police; however, the body vanishes into thin air and she is the only one who can see the three teenagers.  Equally as startled that Clary can see them, the teenagers explain that they are Shadowhunters, and they are charged with the task of ridding the earth of demons. 

A mere day later, Clary is pulled into the world of the Shadowhunters with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and she, herself, is attacked by a vicious demon in their apartment.  Puzzled by the presence of the demon and by the absence of her mother, Clary wonders what these creatures would want with ordinary people like them?  And why is it that she can suddenly see these demons and weapon-wielding teenagers?  She is not the only one curious about her new abilities, the Shadowhunters have some questions, and possibly some answers for her.

Is Clary who she thinks she is? Where has her mother been taken? And why does she get the feeling that she is more connected with the Shadowhunters' world than she ever realized?

My thoughts:
As for my thoughts on the book, I have to say that I really enjoyed this story.  It had the same cliche elements of vampires, werewolves, faeries, and demons that are all the rage these days; however, it was done in a unique and refreshing way.  The writing was superb and the characters were all fully realized and show actual growth through the course of the work (unlike *cough* Twilight).  Even though this is only the first in the series, I will DEFINITELY be reading the rest of them.  My only complaint with the work is that it can be, at times, extremely predictable; however, this is no way detracts from overall reading experience. 

Overall I give it a solid 4 out of 5 needles, and I recommend that anyone who liked Twilight give this book a read to see how a real book is written, and for those who hated Twilight, like myself, read this book to see what Twilight could have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment