Sunday, October 24, 2010

Slip Stitches: Book Review - The Hunger Games Trilogy

The Hunger GamesCatching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games)Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)

For those of you who happen to be living underneath a very large and cold rock, these three books are currently all the rage in Young Adult fiction.  But do they deserve all of the hype and acclaim?  In my humble, yet entirely infallible opinion, HELL YES THEY DO! 

These three works take place in a dystopian world where twelve districts, each focusing on a particular trade or skill, are under the tight control of The Capital.  This government imposed occupation of each district stems from the uprising of the thirteen districts against The Capital years ago, and as punishment for their actions, district thirteen was completely annihilated and the remaining twelve districts are each forced to send two tributes (children) into the Hunger Games.  These children are then forced to battle one another to the death for the amusement of the Capital.

All these works follow Katniss Everdeen as she navigates her way through life, trying to stay alive and provide for her family, and as she is thrown into the horrific Hunger Games.  I won't give away anymore because if you haven't read them yet...READ THEM!!!

I love these books so much that I dedicated my Halloween pumpkin to them...BEHOLD!!


Yep! I carved all the book covers onto ONE pumpkin AND made all of the stencils myself!  Eat your heart out Martha Stewart!!

On a Halloween related note, does anyone have any ideas for who I could be for my Halloween school visits?  I was thinking either Clifford the Big Red Dog, or Cookie Monster.  Ideas? Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. can you please post a stencil for the mockingjay pumpkin? the third one, because i want to do that same thing but i couldnt find anyone who had a stencil untill now. if you even used one, please put it up, thanks

    ReplyDelete